Can you believe we are SIX weeks away from Christmas? I’m struggling to figure out where the year went. But, the holidays are almost here whether I like it or not, so I figure I better start planning!
I’ve said it about a million times before, but it’s worth saying again: quality over quantity! I’d love to also say experiences over gifts but I know how much my family loves to give material gifts so it’s worth providing a list. However, we’d much rather something he can play with for a longer period of time versus cheap plastic items he’ll grow tired of in a couple days. And there’s no need to grab “extras” to make a gift add up to a certain amount or even out across all the kids. I can promise he will be happy with WHATEVER he gets. And fortunately for us, L also prefers his wooden toys and vehicles that he can push around to things with lights and sounds. The book Simplicity Parenting does a great job of explaining this philosophy!
I’ll definitely be on the hunt for deals and will share when I find them. And you know I love the convenience of Amazon so *most* of my recommendations will come from there – complete with FREE 2-day shipping!
Here are my 10 favorite items for toddlers that are good for boys or girls:
- Cozy Coupe Dino (on sale for $53!!) – I WISH I had known this existed before we got his classic red cozy coupe… such a good deal for something that has provided so much entertainment!
- Melissa & Doug Wooden Bus ($18) – I had a coupon so I went ahead and got this for L. He is SUPER into vehicles (still) and loves the Wheels on the Bus song
- Numbers ($12) and Alphabet ($12) Puzzles – we have been practicing counting to 10 and singing our ABCs so I know these will only help him with perfecting those!
- Doctor kit ($13): it is so fun watching a little one’s imagination at work… I know he’ll have fun play pretending to be a doctor with this set! And LOVE that it has a bag to contain the pieces!
- Wooden train set ($35): The options for train sets are endless. In the past 2 months, L has become OBSESSED with trains. I have collected a few plastic Thomas ones from around the neighborhood and our neighbor gave us the start of a wooden one but I want to give him options to be creative and expand the tracks. (Associated gifts: Train Table and MLS Membership where he can RIDE a train!)
- I Spy game ($8): We read Giraffe’s can’t dance every night, sing Baby Shark every day, make sounds like farm animals non-stop… so I think this game will be a hit!
- Power Wheels Jeep ($149): This is the least expensive of the power wheels vehicles that I’ve found and it goes slightly faster than his Lightning McQueen car so I think he’ll like it. It will likely be our “big” gift to him. He also really loves looking at this one but it goes faster and is more expensive so I doubt it’ll be under the tree.
- Kitchen: I love this space saving kitchen and after seeing L play with one at the museum the other day, I think he might enjoy it, too. It also comes with some accessories which is fun and we already have play food to add to it!
- Take apart plane ($17): We’re v. into planes in this house (especially since mommy has been getting on one every other week for 3 months!) and this one will be so fun to take apart and put back together.
- Cleaning toys ($25): I always have a little helper when I’m vacuuming and he loves dragging things across the floor. I have no doubt he’ll have fun “cleaning” with these.
Books (all under $10!) that are on L’s Christmas list:
- Solar System book
- Goodnight Baby Jesus
- Where do trains sleep at night?
- Peas on Earth
- Red Wagon
- Be Brave Little One
- Backyard Bugs
- Rocket Science for Babies
- If I were a doctor (pairs really well with the doctor kit!)
- We’re Different, We’re the same
Bonus: This Little book collection ($21 for 4 books!)
These gifts are all excellent for independent play, teaching little ones a thing a thing or two, and encouraging them to use their imaginations. Happy shopping!
*some items linked here are through the amazon associates program and will direct you straight to the product. If you decide to purchase, I’ll get a small reward. Thanks for helping keep my blog alive 🙂