In January, I shared a list of books I planned to read in 2019. Here’s an update on what I’ve read and a few new books I’m adding to the list. My goal is still 2 books a month — I’d love to make it 3 but that feels like a stretch. Easier on months I travel solo but not so much when traveling with a kid.
My most recent favorite reads were The Unhoneymooners and The Light We Lost. I laughed out loud multiple times while reading The Unhoneymooners and the twist at the end almost tricked me! The Light We Lost hit me deep. Pre-Landon, I had a “Gabe” in my life and without giving away the book, had a similar fate. I LOVED this book.
Others I’ve read since my April post:
- My Oxford Year (on sale for $10): this one was so good! I’m obsessed with British books currently so this one pulled me in quickly.
- Something in the Water: I did not expect the twist in this one! Was definitely hanging on the edge with every page I read.
- Girl Last Seen: another one that had a twist I was not prepared for!
- The Wedding Date – I read this series backwards but it was still delightful! Start with this one, then go to The Proposal, then The Wedding Party!
- The Wedding Party (See Above)
- Last Time I saw You – I LOVED The Last Mrs. Parrish but this didn’t quite live up for me, thought it was still a good read.
- Nine Women, One Dress – super cute, happy ending book. I read this on a 2.5 hour flight.
- The Good Widow – this pulled me in and had some crazy twists.
- Red, White & Royal Blue: this was such a fun read — totally “tongue in cheek” per the author but definitely different than anything I’ve read lately. My neighborhood has a book club and this is what was chosen for August!
My list for the rest of the year is here — I know this is more than 2 a month but I have a few longer work trips so I’m sure I can get 3 in October and November.
- Becoming Michelle Obama : I’m mad at myself for not starting this yet but I’ve been in a really fluffy book / beach read mentality lately so I’ve avoided biographies and non-fiction.
- Evvie Drake Starts Over
- Where the Crawdads Sing
- Everything I Never Told You
- And Then You Loved Me
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
- The Storyteller’s Secret
- My Husband’s Wife
- How Women Rise (I got to hear the author speak recently and immediately purchased the book)
- Love and Other Words
- Maybe This Time – I bought this in Heathrow Airport. Airport books are my love language.
- The Castaways
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race
- Royal Wedding
- The Best Friend
I’m self-imposing a book buying restriction on myself for the rest of the year. While I have 16 books on this list to read before 12/31… I have shelves full of books that I’ve purchased and then just let sit. I love that my neighborhood has such an active Buy/Sell/Trade group and I’m able to get lots on there for cheap (and sell the ones I’ve read too) but still, I don’t need anymore books this year. Remind me of this next week, plz.
*I use affiliate links and will receive a small commission if you choose to purchase the product. It doesn’t cost you anything and goes straight into helping keep my blog alive by paying the yearly fee!